GATE 2020: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level PG Engineering entrance exam. It is conducted jointly by Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and 7 Indian Institute of Technology (IITs). GATE 2020 will be conducted for a total of 24 subject papers, among which Statistics (ST) is the newest addition. It is expected to be held in the month of February 2020. The registration for the exam will open in the month of September 2019. Students who are planning to appear for GATE 2020 must check the GATE 2020 eligibility criteria. The score of GATE is also used by PSUs for junior engineer and other recruitment. Candidates aiming to crack GATE 2020 can read the article below to check the syllabus, exam pattern, application process, dates and more details.
Though there are 24 subject papers in GATE but the candidates will only be able to apply for one. Candidates must choose their subject paper wisely. To choose the subject, the candidates can first check the link of subjects from below, then analyse the area of interest, specialization in graduation, scope of growth etc.
GATE 2020 Conducting Body: The conducting body for GATE 2020 will be announced soon.
GATE 2020 Important Dates
GATE 2020 exam dates are the most important thing that a candidate seeks. For the last examination, IIT released the details on July 06 but the website went offline soon. While the website was live, candidates could download information brochure and other details. The application form and portal became live on September 01. The candidates can also expect the release of GATE 2020 details in July 2019. The tentative dates for GATE 2020 are as follows:
|GATE 2020||Important Dates|
|Gate Online Application Processing System Website Opens||01st week of September 2019|
|Closing Date for Submission of Application||04th week of September 2019|
|Last date for requesting Change of Examination City||02nd week of November 2019|
|Admit Card Availability||01st week of January 2020|
|GATE 2020 Examination||01st week of February 2020|
|Result Announcement||02nd week of March 2020|
GATE 2020 Papers
The students who are preparing for GATE 2020 must know all the papers for which they can appear. They have to choose one subject only out of the list and appear for it. There are a total of 24 papers. Check the names of all the papers which are available for GATE 2020:
|GATE 2020 Subject Code||GATE 2020 Papers|
|AR||Architecture and Planning|
|CS||Computer Sc. and Information Technology|
|EC||Electronics and Communication Engg.|
|EY||Ecology and Evolution|
|GG||Geology and Geophysics|
|PI||Production and Industrial Engineering|
|TF||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science|
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The students who shall appear for GATE 2020 Exam must first check the eligibility criteria for the exam. It is important to do so before going to the application form part. It is so because if the candidate applies for the exam without checking the criteria, the application is liable to be rejected. The eligibility criteria of GATE 2020 is as follows:
Age Limit- Candidates should note that there is no age limit for the exam. You can appear for the exam as many times as you wish to apply.
Qualifying degrees appropriate for GATE 2019:
|Qualifying degree||Currently in year / completed||Year of qualifying not later than|
|BE / BTech / BPharm||Final or completed||2020|
|BArch||Final or completed||2020|
|BSc (Research) / BS||4th or completed||2020|
|MSc / MA / MCA||Final or completed||2020|
|Int ME / MTech (post BSc)||2nd / 3rd / 4th or completed||2022|
|Int ME / MTech or Dual degree (after diploma or 10+2)||4th / 5th or completed||2020|
|Int MSc / Int BS-MS||Final or completed||2020|
|Professional society exam equivalent to BE / BTech / BArch||Completed section A or equivalent of such a course||NA|
GATE 2020 Syllabus
GATE 2020 Syllabus is a thing which every student must have with them. It is important because if they will have the syllabus with them, they will be able to prepare in a much better manner since they would have an idea as to how and what all topics they have to learn and prepare. Check the expected GATE 2020 Syllabus. It is likely to remain same.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
The next thing which the candidates must definitely know is the exam pattern for GATE 2020. The students who are preparing for GATE 2020 must know about the exam pattern as it will help them prepare in a much better manner. Take a look at the complete exam pattern for GATE 2020 Exam.
The GATE 2020 Exam shall consist of two types of questions:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
In the first part, the questions will be objective in nature. Each question will have 4 options as the answer. The candidate has to choose the correct answer out of all the options given. If the candidate marks the wrong answer, then the marks will be deducted. The marking scheme has been given for the same.
For the second type of questions, the students have to type in the answers using the virtual keypad available on the screen. Facility of on-screen calculator shall also be provided for the students. The feature of this exam is that the no answers.
Expected exam pattern for GATE 2020 is as follows:
- Nature of Examination: Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Type of Question: Multiple Choice Question (MCQ)
- Total Number of Questions: 65
- Distribution of Questions: The question in GATE 2020 shall be distributed as follows:
- 55 questions of the subject Chosen
- 10 questions of General Aptitude to test the language and the analytical skills of the candidate
The papers which are bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF
and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks, the General Aptitude
section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks shall be devoted to the subject of the paper.
In the papers bearing the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST and XL, the General Aptitude section
will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject
of the paper.
GATE 2020 Marking Scheme
The students should know the marking scheme as well for this exam. It is important at that time when the student shall be preparing for the exam and giving the mocks for this exam. Check the marking scheme for GATE 2020.
- For the first type, which is MCQ based, 1 or 2 marks will be allotted for each of the questions. There is a negative marking as well. For the questions of 1 mark each, 1/3 marks will be deducted. For questions of 2 marks each, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
- For the second type also, which is NAT type, 1 or 2 marks shall be allotted for each question. The main important thing which should be noted is that there is no negative marking in these type of questions.
The above-mentioned marking scheme is generalised for the complete GATE 2020 Exam. The students must know some details about the marking scheme for specific subjects and questions. Check it here.
a) General Aptitude (GA) Questions
In all the GATE 2020 Papers, GA questions shall carry a total of 15 marks. This section includes:
- 5 questions carrying 1-mark each taking the sub-total to 5 marks.
- 5 questions carrying 2-marks each making the sub-total as 10 marks.
b) Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL
The distribution of question for these papers shall be as follows:
- 25 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 25 marks)
- 30 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 60 marks) consisting of both the MCQ and NAT
c) Geology and Geophysics Paper
The speciality of this paper is that apart from the General Aptitude (GA) section, the GG question paper shall consist of two parts as given below:
- Part A- This is the compulsory section for all the candidates who shall appear for this exam.
- Part B- This part contains two sections:
- Section 1 which is of Geology
- Section 2 which is of Geophysics
Those who are appearing for this exam must note that they will have to compulsorily attend the complete Part A and any one of the section in Part B. The distribution of questions in the paper will be as follows:
- Part A consists of 25 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 25 marks and some of these may be
numerical answer type questions).
- Either section of Part B (Section 1 and Section 2) consists of 30 questions carrying 2-marks each making sub-total 60 marks. Out of these, some may be numerical answer type questions.
d) XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)
The candidate who is appearing in the XE paper has to answer the paper in the following manner:
- GA – General Aptitude carrying a total of 15 marks.
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory): This section contains the questions in the following manner:
- 11 questions carrying a total of 15 marks
- 7 questions carrying 1-mark each giving a sub-total 7 marks
- 4 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 8 marks). Some questions may be of numerical
answer type as well.
- Any two of XE Sections B to H: Out of the 7 sections, the candidate shall answer only TWO optional sections. To change the section midway, the candidate wishing to change midway of the examination must deselect one of the previously chosen optional sections and then chose the other.
The question distribution for each of it shall be as follows:
- 22 questions carrying a total of 35 marks
- 9 questions carrying 1-mark each giving sub-total 9 marks)
- 13 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 26 marks). Some questions may be of
numerical answer type as well.
d) XL Paper (Life Sciences)
The candidate who shall appear in this paper has to answer the following:
- GA – General Aptitude carrying a total of 15 marks.
- Section P– Chemistry (Compulsory): This section contains the questions in the following manner:
- 15 questions carrying a total of 25 marks
- 5 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 5 marks)
- 10 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 20 marks). Some questions may be of numerical answer type also.
- Any two of XL Sections Q to U: This choice can be made during the examination after viewing the questions. Only TWO optional sections can be selected. Candidate can change the section midway by deselecting one of the previously chosen optional sections and then choosing the new one. The question distribution in the sections as follows:
- 20 questions carrying a total of 30 marks
- 10 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 10 marks)
- 10 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 20 marks). Some questions may be of numerical answer type.
GATE 2020 Important Books
GATE is a competitive as well as one of the important exams attempted by lakhs of candidates. To ace this exam, it is required that the students prepare for it with the best set of books. The candidate who has the best books with them for preparation will be able to ace the exam by clearing all their doubts and practicing a lot of questions. Take a look at all the important books for GATE 2020 that the aspirants must have definitely with them:
Books Subject Wise:
|Name of the Book||Link to Buy|
|Jhar Product Engineering Thermodynamics/(old book as per latest syllabus)||Click here to buy|
|Design of Machine Elements Paperback – 1 Jul 2017||Click here to buy|
|Material Science & Metallurgy Paperback – 2014||Click here to buy|
|Automobile Engineering Vol 1 Paperback – 2012||Click here to buy|
|Strength of Materials Paperback – 2015||Click here to buy|
|Fundamentals of Electric Circuits Paperback – 1 Jul 2013||Click here to buy|
|A Course in Mechanical Measurements and Instrumentation & ControlPaperback – 2017||Click here to buy|
|Fundamentals of Digital Circuits Paperback – Illustrated, 2009||Click here to buy|
|Microprocessor Architecture, Programming and Applications with the 8085 6/e Paperback – Oct 2013||Click here to buy|
|Signals and Systems (Oxford Higher Education) Paperback – 19 Jul 2010||Click here to buy|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Modern Digital And Analog Communication Systems: Fourth Edition||Click here to buy|
|Signals and Systems Paperback – 2015||Click here to buy|
|Digital Signal Processing Paperback – 2015||Click here to buy|
|Control Systems Engineering, 1e Paperback – 2015||Click here to buy|
|Linear Integrated Circuits (2018-19 Session) Paperback – 6 Jan 201||Click here to buy|
GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
The students who are preparing for GATE 2020 must be looking up to the toppers of the GATE exam for some preparation tips. These are important because they will help the students prepare in a much better manner and get great marks in the exam. Check some important tips for preparation of GATE 2020 Exam from the toppers of this exam:
- Know the syllabus of the respective GATE paper for which you shall appear. It is important because you would be knowing what you actually have to prepare for the exam and thus you would stop wasting your time on unnecessary topics and get a head start.
- Clarity of concepts is a must thing to do. If the basic concepts of the student are itself not clear, then they will not be able to apply the concepts and thus solve questions on the exam day.
- Prepare a study plan and try to stick to the plan. It would greatly help in planning out your day and automatically help to complete the syllabus as well.
- Make notes while you are studying. These notes which you will make up now will double up as revision notes also which will be immensely helpful during the last days.
- The practice of questions must be done. It is a prerequisite which the students must definitely fulfil. They should practice questions of all difficulty levels and not just focus on a single type.
- Have proper rest and breaks in between. This will help you refresh your mind as well as retain all the concepts which you learnt until now.
GATE 2020 Application Procedure
The next step after checking the eligibility criteria is filling the application form for GATE 2020. Filling the form is the prerequisite for the further processes such as getting the admit card, appearing for the exam and other related processes. The GATE 2020 shall be a completely online procedure. There is no other way to fill the application form for this exam.
GATE 2020 Application will be filled through an online portal. In the application procedure, the students have to furnish some details such as name, the address of the candidate, educational details etc. They also have to upload some documents as well which are important. After it, the students have to pay the application fee for the exam. Candidates should ensure that they complete all these procedures before the last date.
GATE 2020 Application Fee
Those who are filling out the application form for GATE 2020 must know that they have to pay the application fee as well. It will be paid in online mode only. Aspirants must ensure that they pay the fee and check that it has been processed. They can have a look at the application fee for GATE 2019 to have an idea of the application fee for the year 2020.
|For exam cities in India|
|Female candidates||Rs 750|
|SC / ST / PWD||Rs 750|
|For exam cities in foreign countries|
|In Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Kathmandu||USD 50|
|In Dubai, Singapore||USD 100|
The application fee must be paid on time before the last date. If the students do not pay the application fee, then the application will not be considered and the student will not be able to sit for the exam.
GATE 2020 Application Scrutiny and Rectification
The applications which are submitted for GATE 2020 shall be scrutinized for the accuracy of the data which the student has entered. The data includes, uploaded documents, clarity of the signature and photograph. If there is a defect found in any of the details entered or the documents which have been uploaded, the candidate will be informed of the same through SMS and E-Mail.
Here the students should immediately rectify all the defect within the deadline. If they do not do so, their application will be rejected and the student thus they will not be eligible for appearing in the examination.
GATE 2020 Admit Card
Those students who fill the GATE 2020 Application Form on time will only get the GATE 2020 Admit Card. It will be available online on the official website for GATE 2020. It should be noted by the candidates that it will not be sent by post.
The admit card for the GATE 2020 Exam will contain some important details such as the name of the candidate, roll number and the test venue timings and the location. The aspirants should definitely bring the admit card with them to the exam hall along with a valid ID Proof. Without it, the students will not be allowed to appear for the exam. They should also ensure the photograph of the candidate and image of the signature are clear and legible on the GATE 2020 Admit Card.
GATE 2020 Answer Key and Response Sheet
After the GATE 2020 Exam has been conducted, the answer key and the response sheet of the candidates will be made available on the official website. The students who shall give the GATE 2020 Exam will be able to download the response sheet once it has been uploaded.
Answer Key for various GATE 2020 Papers will be made available online. The students will be able to raise objections to the official answer key. It should be ensured that they submit the challenges before the last date. After evaluation, the GATE 2020 Result and GATE 2020 Score Card will be made available to the successful candidates.
GATE 2020 Score Calculation
The candidate’s final score for GATE 2020 will be calculated as per the number of papers given by the aspirant. For single session paper, the GATE 2020 Score will be the actual marks scored by them in the exam. For the multi-session paper, the normalization process will be used. The calculation of marks will be different for each of them. The calculation of scores in both the cases will be through a standardized formula. After calculating the scores, the final marks will be calculated and the GATE 2020 Results will be declared.
GATE 2020 Result
GATE 2020 Result will be declared on the official website after all the above-mentioned processes have been calculated. It will be released for all the GATE 2020 qualified candidates. The score will be valid for a period of 3 years from the date when the result has been announced. On the basis of GATE 2020 score, admissions for the M.Tech Programs and recruitments to various PSUs shall also be done.
GATE 2020 Scorecard
GATE 2020 qualified candidates shall be able to download their GATE 2020 Scorecard from the official website. The qualified students must ensure that they download the scorecard within the deadlines as mentioned in the official brochure. After the dates, the student has to pay some money to get the scorecard for GATE 2020 Exam. The aspirants should note that the hard copies of GATE 2020 shall not be available in hard copy format.
GATE 2020 Score for PSUs Recruitment
The GATE 2020 Score shall be used by Public Sector Undertakings or PSUs for the recruitment purpose. Major PSUs which conduct recruitment process through GATE 2020 Score are as follows:
- BAARC: OCES, DGFS
- Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India
- Coal India Ltd
- EdCIL India
- Haryana Power Utilities