IIEST Admission – Indian Institute of Engineering Science And Technology, earlier known as the Bengal Engineering College was started in the year 1856. The Government of India, finally in March 2014, took this institute under its control and converted it into an Institute of national importance through an act of parliament. It is situated in Shibpur, West Bengal. It was originally started with the aim to meet the requirement of trained personnel for the Public Works Department of West Bengal in the civil engineering field. Now it offers various other disciplines like B.Tech, B.Arch, M.Tech, M.Arch, M.Sc, MBA, dual degree and Ph.D. to all the interested candidates. Note that, JEE Main score will be required for B.Tech and B.Arch courses, whereas GATE scores will be required for M.Tech To know more about IIEST Admission, candidates can keep reading this article provided below.
IIEST Admission 2019
- Established – Formerly known as the Bengal Engineering College, IIEST was started in the year 1856.
- Type – It is an institute of national importance under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- Area – It has a four storied academic building covering approx 22000 square meters of area, along with science and technology building covering 14400 square meters of area and workshop complex of 8400 square meters.
- Campuses – Only one in Shibpur, Howrah, West Bengal
- Location – Located in the Howrah city of West Bengal, this institute is 90 mins away from the airport, whereas nearly 5 km away from the Howrah Railway station.
- Facility – It has provided a workshop complex, 24 hrs open medical facility, banks, printing press, hostel facility, sports ground, swimming pool, gymnasium, amenities center, computer center, library recreation center and spiritual development centers for its students.
#Fun Fact – Recently, Indian Institute of Engineering Science And Technology has been ranked 20A by NIRF with a score of 70.35.
IIEST Admission Courses Offered And Seat Intake
IIEST offers a variety of engineering courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, MBA and Ph.D. level. Also, below we have mentioned the seat intake, per course in IIEST, Shibpur.
- B.Tech Aerospace and Applied Mechanics
- B. Tech Civil Engineering
- B. Tech Computer Science and Technology
- B.Tech Electrical Engineering
- B.Tech Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- B. Tech Information Technology
- B. Tech Mechanical Engineering
- B. Tech Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- B. Tech Mining Engineering
- M.Tech Civil Engineering
- M.Tech Electrical Engineering
- M.Tech Mechanical Engineering
- M.Tech Metallurgical & Materials Science Engineering
- M.Tech Mining
- M.Tech Electronics & Tele Communication
- M.Tech Computer Science & Engineering
- M.Tech Aerospace Engineering & Applied Mechanics
- M.Tech Information Technology
- M.Tech Mining Engineering
- M.Tech VLSI
- M.Tech Biomedical
- M.Tech Mechatronics
#Fun Fact – The Metalurgy Department of IIEST, Shibpur is the second oldest in the country.
Seat Matrix Of Various M.Tech Disciplines
Seat Matrix Of Various B.Tech and B.Arch Disciplines
IIEST Admission Process
In order to pursue any B.Tech discipline, an interested candidate needs to appear and secure the minimum qualifying marks or ranks as specified by IIEST in the JEE Main. After that, they need to also clear the counseling round, conducted by JoSAA. A candidate needs to satisfy the minimum eligibility requirement, prior to form filling.
- He or she should be a citizen of India.
- He or she should have passed and secured 75% of marks in Class 12 level examination or needs to be in the top 20 percentile in respective boards.
- A candidate belonging to SC/ST category needs to score at least 65% of marks in his or her Class 12 level examination or needs to be in the top 20 percentile in respective boards.
For admissions, to various M.Tech courses, Centralised Counseling System(CCMT) via online mode has been chosen by IIEST authorities. And the minimum eligibility norms to apply for this Institute has been set as the following:
- A candidate must have a valid GATE score.
- Should have passed his or her qualifying degree with minimum 60% of marks( for Gen candidates) and 55% of marks( for SC/ST/PH candidates).
- Candidates whose results are yet to be announced can also apply for admissions to this institute, provided that they have to produce their Course Completion Certificate after the result has been declared. The admission to such candidates will be done on provisional grounds. All the certificates, as well as the qualifying degree results, should reach the authorities before the last date(as specified by IIEST).
#Fun Fact – IIEST, Shibpur has a history in the World War!
IIEST Admission Fee Structure
The fee structure to pursue any of the four-year B.Tech course or five-year B.Arch course from IIEST, Shibpur has been mentioned below.
|Student’s Activity Fee||500|
|Infrastructure Maintenance Fee||2,500|
|Institute Caution Money( One time, Refundable)||3,000|
|Total Amount Payable at the time of admission( OC/OBC candidates without any fee waiver)||70,000|
|Total Amount Payable at the time of admission( SC/ST/Pwd)||7,500|
|Total Amount Payable at the time of admission( OC/OBC candidates with income of less than Rs. 1 Lakh)||7,500|
|Total Amount Payable at the time of admission (OC/OBC candidates with income oF Rs. 1 Lakh – Rs. 5 Lakh)||28,330|
|Hostel Charges( Payable at the time of admission)||1,900|
To pursue any postgraduate level course in the field of Engineering and Technology from IIEST, Shibpur a candidate needs to pay off this amount of fee.
|Student Activity and others||500|
|Infrastructure Maintenance Fee||2500|
|Total Fee( per semester)||39,500|
|Total Fee To Be Paid At The Time Of Admission( including Rs 3000 refundable caution money deposit)||42,500|
IIEST Admission Scholarship
IIEST, Shibpur motivates its students by providing them with some attractive scholarship schemes for both admissions to B.Tech and M.Tech level. Mostly, all the meritorious candidates or candidates having a bad financial background can avail these scholarship schemes. The full amount will be waived off in case of candidates applying for dual degree courses during 9th and 10th semester. For more details on scholarship schemes, candidates can visit becollege.org.
IIEST Admission Placements
Every year, various budding engineering minds gets hired by well-known recruiters from IIEST. The placement cell of IIEST is headed by a professor and other staff, which every year conducts placement drives to create an opportunity for various candidates. The list of recruiters seems to be never-ending. Below, we have mentioned some of them.
|G.E Digital||Hyundai Motors|
|Indian Army||L&T Ltd.|
Image and Data Source: www.iiests.ac.in
For IIEST placement records, you can go through the pdf we have provided below to what recruiters had offered to which course students, their date of visit and the total number of candidates, who got placed.
Below, we have mentioned some of IIEST prominent alumni, who are doing great in their respective fields, these days.
- Mr. Fazlur Rahman Khan, the Einstein of Structural Engineering.
- Biren Mukherjee – Established IISCO, Burnpur
- Badal Sircar – Theatre Person or Dramatist
- Tathagatha Roy – Politician
- Buddhadev Dasgupta – Indian Politician
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur P.O. - Botanic Garden Howrah - 711 103 West Bengal, India Phone: +91 (033) 2668 4561 to 63 Fax: +91 (033) 2668 2916