IIST Admission – A deemed university, Indian Institute Of Space Science And Technology was officially started in the year 2017 to impart education at undergraduate, postgraduate, doctorate, and post-doctorate levels. IIST situated in Thiruvananthapuram to act as an educational and research institution to contribute towards space endeavors. With an aim to create a learning environment enriched with challenges and the spirit of innovation and creativity, this institution also extends ethics and value-based education. Started with the late Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam as their founding chancellor, IIST has a motto which means “Teaching acts a catalyst”. To know more about this Institute, candidates can keep reading!
#Fun Fact – Late APJ Abdul Kalam was the first chancellor of IIST.
IIST Admission 2019
- Established: In the year 2007
- Type: Deemed University
- Area: Around 100 acres campus
- Campuses: Only one campus situated in Valiamala, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Location: IIST is located on the way to Ponmudi Hills, which is close to the foothills of Sahyadri ranges. It is about 25 km away from Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station and 30 km from Thiruvananthapuram International Airport. The nearest bus stop is 16th Mile Stone or ISRO Junction or Pathinaaram Kallu Stop about 1.5 kms.
- Facility: It provides 11 hostels for its various course applicants, canteen services, sports ground, indoor facility, gym facility, medical services, security services, transport services, banking, cafeteria, bookshop, computer labs, software support services, and infrastructural facilities.
#Fun Fact – IIST had opened Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC) campus, Thiruvananthapuram, on September 14, 2007 to provide better insight in space science and technology field.
IIST Admission 2019 Courses Offered
Indian Institute Of Space and Technology offers a variety of engineering courses to its various courses.
|B.Tech. (Aerospace Engineering)|
|B.Tech. (Electronics & Communication Engineering)|
|Dual Degree (B.Tech. + Master of Science/Master of Technology)|
|M.Tech in Thermal and Propulsion|
|M.Tech in Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics|
|M.Tech in Structures and Design|
|M.Tech in RF and Microwave Engineering|
|M.Tech in Digital Signal Processing|
|M.Tech in VLSI and Microsystems|
|M.Tech in Control Systems|
|M.Tech in Power Electronics|
In B.Tech. (Aerospace Engineering) and B.Tech. (Electronics & Communication Engineering), there are 60 seats each, whereas, in Dual Degree (B.Tech. + Master of Science/Master of Technology), there are 20 seats. Each M.Tech courses are open to 6 vacancies for admission purposes.
There are some other courses, which a candidate can choose to pursue.
- Master of Science in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Ph.D. In Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. Avionics
- Ph.D. Chemistry
- Ph.D. Earth and Space Sciences
- Ph.D. Humanities
- Ph.D. Mathematics
- Ph.D. Physics
IIST 2019 Admission Process
For admission to any of the above-mentioned B.Tech courses, a candidate needs to appear and get a valid score in JEE Main 2019 and JEE Advanced 2019, whereas for admissions to M.Tech or Ph.D. courses a candidate needs to appear and clear written test and interview rounds. Even after having secured a valid JEE Advanced score, a candidate needs to appear for a counseling round conducted by IIST.
IIST, Thiruvananthapuram has laid some eligibility norms. Candidates wishing to apply for IIST 2019 Admission, must ensure that they fulfill these criteria.
- Candidate should be an Indian National.
- A candidate belonging to OBC or General category must be born on or before 1st October 1993, whereas for SC/ST or PD candidates should be born on or before 1 st October 1988.
- He or she should have secured at least 75% in their class 12 level from a recognized board and up to 5% of relaxation will be provided to SC/ST candidates.
- General category candidates need to secure at least 20% in average and 5% each in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and for OBC candidates, at least 18% of marks in average and 4.5% marks in each of the three subjects.
- For SC, ST or PWD candidates, minimum of 10% marks in average plus 2.5% of marks in each PCM subjects need to be scored in order to be eligible.
For M.Tech admissions to IIST, a candidate needs to fulfill these below-listed eligibility criteria.
- Should have BE or B.Tech or any equivalent degree passed from any recognized institute with 60% marks for General & OBC category and 55% marks, in case of SC/ST candidates.
- Should have a valid GATE score in a related discipline that he or she wishes to pursue from IIST.
- Should clear the interview round and the written test of the Institute.
#Fun Fact – It is one of the engineering institutes which extends dual degree of 5 years which is one of the popular courses in this Institute.
IIST Admission 2019 Fee Structure
In order to pursue any of the B.Tech disciplines from IIST, you need to pay off this amount of fees per semester. Every candidate needs to submit this prescribed amount of fee at the beginning of each semester, at the time of admission to this Institute. The first installment of fee payment( i.e the first-semester fee) was only accepted via online mode.
The fee structure for M.Tech courses is as follows.
Below, we have listed the fee structure of IIST. Candidates belonging to SC/STs are exempted from paying the specified amount of fee.
IIST Admission 2019 Scholarship
As pursuing an engineering degree from an Institute like IIST could be unaffordable to some of the candidates, so IIST has designed some attractive scholarship schemes for its candidates. Indian Institute Of Space Science And Technology has devised these different scholarships schemes for candidates belonging to different categories and for meritorious candidates. Department of Space makes available these scholarship schemes, as mentioned below.
- For candidates belonging to the General or OBC category – A scholarship will be given in the form of full semester fee waiver to all those candidates scoring 7.5 GPA or more out of 10.
- For candidates belonging to the SC/ST and PD category – A scholarship will be given in the form of full semester fee waiver to all those candidates scoring 6.5 and above GPA, out of 10 and GPA between 5.5 to 6.5 GPA can avail a scholarship of tuition fee amount being waived off, at the end of a semester.
- All those who fall under any of the scholarship schemes will also be given a Book Grant of Rs. 3000/- per semester.
To all those candidates applying for any PG level course, he or she will be granted a scholarship as per the MHRD or UGC norms. Whereas all the research scholars will be offered a fellowship of Rs. 25000/- per month. It could be enhanced to Rs. 28,000/- on the basis of a candidate’s performance.
IIST Admission 2019 Placements
IIST is blessed to have an amazing placement cell, which from time to time keeping blessing with its students by arranging placement drives. Mostly all the well-known recruiters, every year pays visit to IIST campus to look for suitable candidates, who will into assets for the firm. Also, ISRO every year pays visit to the campus to look for an ideal candidate who would perfectly fit into the job profile. Till date, ISRO has absorbed 856 candidates under its reputed firm. In order to be updated with all the placement drives, candidates need to contact the placement cell of IIST.
- Highest CTC (B.Tech) – 6.1
- Average CTC Range(B.Tech) – 4.5 to 7.4
- Number Of Students Placed – 7
- Highest CTC( M.Tech) – 14.5
- Average CTC Range( M.Tech) – 14.5 to 11.74
- Number Of Students Placed – 20
M/s Viz Experts
M/s TATA Consultancy Services.
M/s IIT Kharagpur
M/s Team Indus
Image and Data Source: www.iist.ac.in
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology
Valiamala P.O., Thiruvananthapuram – 695 547
Kerala, India. Contact Number – +91 (471) 2568477, 2568478